Thursday, March 3, 2011

Motherless Children

I have a mother now, but that hasn't always been the case. I also have a belly mom. My belly mom died when I was 3. It is all hear say, since I was not old enough to remember. This is how it went down.

My father was in the navy and stationed away from home. That left my mom with my brother 7, sister 5, and me 3. One night in September my Mom and her brother decided they would go out. My grandmother was to watch us. Well, on the way into town about a 5 mile drive there is an intersection, this intersection come from the lake. A care hit her car spinning her into the oncoming traffic lane, going toward the lake, just on the wrong side of the road. Also near by is a National Guard training station. Most of the time lakes lead to drinking and this September night was just that for a few of the Guards men, and I can't blame them for that. However,we all know that drinking and driving don't go together! Even the drunk driving will tell you that they would never drive drunk! Don't believe me watch cops.

So at this intersection the two cars meet. The police officer that came out was a new cop. Night was now falling as the office was doing her investigation. Nobody was hurt, so I guess just a lot of taking information. The officer was in the process of getting my Mom's information. Since it was dark they leaned over my mother's car to use the headlights to see. So down the road comes the Guards men that had been at the lake. The officer made a quick decision to get out of the way. My mother did not see the car, blinded my the light from her headlights she could not see lights coming toward her. That was the second accident of the night, my Mother in front of her car, with this other car. I will not go into detail, but she, had one leg that she would have never been able to use again, and other injuries.  The ambulance was called and for whatever reason did not come out when they should have. My Mom did make it to the hospital that night, I don't know if she was D. O. A. or not but I guess that doesn't matter.

That night before I was able to understand the life changing event that took place, I was a motherless daughter, I would become a motherless mother. My whole life has been shaped my this single night.

I have had 2 pictures of my Mother up until this week. I received more via email. And again I am left to wonder, what her voice sounded like, what a hug felt like, how did she smell, a touch from her hand. I could go on, but if you have a Mother you have never thought of those things. I don't know why my Mother's time was up. I do know that God is so much bigger than I am even if he told me I would not get it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Jenn, I didn't know all of those details and didn't realize how young you were when she died. I'm so sorry. Even though it's been 20+ years, you just don't ever get over losing your Mom. I love how God has redeemed this part of the story and provided a heart Mom, an adoptive Mom, for you. His eye is surely on you. Thanks for sharing your life with us out here.

    ReplyDelete