Sunday, January 23, 2011

A book for everything

Lately I have been thinking about timing. The timing in my children's questions, my answers and such. I good with bad timing! If you know me you know I can say the wrong thing at just the right err.. wrong time. I do not that God gives us times, during the day just the right moment to talk to our children about stuff. Also for them to talk to us. I don't want to miss that. Those special times can be scary. Very, very, scary. Not just getting the time and not missing out, but having having the right thing to say, the right response.

Now that ChloeJace is older there are a lot of girl questions.  There is also a lot of things she needs to know before they happen.  Growing up without a mother, lots of times in my life I found nowhere to turn, no one to turn too. I don't want that for my child. We got a book a few years ago. "American Girl All about You!" We would sit together and read it. There were things in there I didn't know.

I also see that with friends and school. Many Children don't know, alot. Not only about their bodies, but also manners and etiquet. I think everyone wants things better for their children. So to be better she must know more! Right?  Just because I am faaar from a lady doesn't mean that she shouldn't know how to act, eat, walk, talk. I would much rather people say "that" is her mother...  Than people say omgosh it is like watching the female version of Dumb and Dumber.

So what do others do? How do you confront those hard conversation with your children? How do you use everyday life as a teaching plateau? How do you inject God into situations that are other wise not of God?

As my children grow these questions get harder. The teaching become more important. So if you are like me and want "more" for your children but you were not raised by the King and Queen here are some books that we love.

How to be a lady.ref=sib_dp_pt.jpgHow to be a gentleman.
365 days of manners. This is also good it give you things you can do together ie. how to eat an artichoke.  They tell you how to pick one, cook it and eat it. ChloeJace loved helping do all that so when it came time to eat it she actually enjoyed it.

When it comes to question about God  after praying and turning to my bible. If I can not answer her question (oh yeah if you think you could answer some of her question I will let her call you!) and the old call your Nanny still leaves questions. Try these books.

The Case for a Creator.
The Case for Faith.

ref=sr_1_1.jpg

I would love to hear what you would recommend or suggest. What it is that you do.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent read, Jennifer! It is great to toss out this subject and invite others to brainstorm with you about "hard talks" ... I will be looking forward to reading the responses of your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about this post for the past few days. I would recommend going to Focus on the Family website and look for books that they recommend. My little girl is only 4 years old, so I will be embarking on the road you are traveling before I know it. I do have a book by James Dobson on boys.

    My other advice is be confident in your relationship with the Lord and that He will guide you on how to parent them. When MAc asks me a hard question and I don't know exactly how to answer. I pray about it. Talk to my husband. I also tell him that God's ways are not our ways. And I will get back to him after I talk to his dad;)

    I am like you in that I want more for my children. I want to be different in some of the ways I was parented. God will lead you. He is a redeeming and restoring God:)

    Much love in Christ,
    allison

    ReplyDelete